Vinegar: Where Does it Come From?
Vinegar is a vinous liquid primarily used to flavour and preserve foods. The word is from the language of love, French, meaning: vin (wine) and aigre (sour).
Vinegar is believed to be centuries old making it one of the oldest condiments on earth. We know has been used since Ancient time because traces of vinegar have been found in Egyptian urns from around 3000 BC.
Now, chefs from around the globe add a splash of vinegar regularly in cuisines to brighten the flavours. Used for salad dressings and marinades, similar to wine, vinegars have distinct personalities from mildly sour rice wine vinegar to boldly sweet Italian balsamic.
Types of vinegar used to Season and preserve food:
• Distilled White Vinegar. – sharp, strong vinegar
• Balsamic Vinegar. – an Italian classic
• Apple Cider Vinegar – a fruity vinegar
• Red Wine Vinegar. – a colourful product
• White Wine Vinegar
• Champagne Vinegar.
• Sherry Vinegar. …
• Rice Vinegar – used in Japanese dishes
• Pickling – preserves fruit, meat and vegetables
A vinaigrette is a mixture of oil and vinegar which can be used on salad or for dipping bread.
Recipes with Vinegar:
• Salad Dressings with classic vinaigrette
• Pickled fruit and vegtables
• Tangy Vinegar Coleslaw.
• Cucumber & Red Onion and Vinegar Salad
• Sea Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips.
• Fish and chips with Salt and Vinegar
• Japanese Sushi Rice
• Keifer & Apple Cider Vinegar Beef Jerky.
• Green Beans With Walnuts & Balsamic vinegar.
• Vegan Cider Vinegar Beans.
• Balsamic Vinegar Chicken
A two-step process of fermentation, vinegar is made from an assortment of diluted alcohol products. The most common being beer (malt), wine (red and white), cider (fruit) and rice (Japan). Balsamic vinegar is made from the Trebbiano and Lambrusco grapes of Italy’s Emilia-Romagna region. .
Thomas Sarson started making malt vinegar in London.
Traditionally brewed and matured from barely, roast barley and barley extract with typically 5% Acidity.
Malted barley is made in the initial stages of beer making before the hops is added (which would make it bitter).
Brown malt vinegar may be further darkened by caramel. Spices can be added which make it good for pickling.
Concentrating the vinegar by distilling gives clear white vinegar which may be suitable for lightly coloured pickles and chutneys.
Because it’s concentrated it is particularly suited for the preservation of watery vegetables, for example cabbage, which might otherwise ‘bleed’ into the vingar and dilute it to the extent that its preserving qualities may be compromised.
Malt vinegar is perfect for splashing onto chips, but it’s otherwise mainly restricted to preserving.
- Wine vinegar is usually a generic term and offered as red or white vingars.
- Increasing move towards grape specific wine vinegars.
- Tend to have a greater finesse and subtler flavour.
- Apple Cider Vinegar can be made from apples
- can help you lose weight
- reduce your body fat percentage
- make you lose belly fat
- decrease your blood triglycerides.
- Resembles the production of fine wine
- Juices of the Trebbiano and Lambrusco grapes
- Sweet and sour flavours good for cooking
- Produced for over 1000 years in Modeda
- Must soft pressed juice of unfermented grapes
- Poured into barrels made of Oak, chestnut, cherry, mulberry, or ash.
- Placed in a series of smaller barrels